Student Projects - Banned/Challenged Books
It is fair to say that several people and groups are depicted in a less-than-favorable way in this book. Of Mice and Men has been criticized as being discriminatory towards African Americans, women, and those with intellectual disabilities. Should the language, treatment of individuals, representation of non-dominant groups be grounds for censorship and/or banishment of material from our experience? Is it better to confront language like the type Steinbeck uses in his book or should it be removed from our discourse. Some possible topics you may discuss are:
- Why does Steinbeck use the language he uses? Consider language that is particularly racial or gender-oriented in nature.
- Why does he depict characters like Lennie and Curly's wife the way he does?
- Consider the final image of the book. Is this appropriate? Should students be exposed to ideas like this?
Create a written response to Of Mice and Men that addresses at least one of the following questions:
- In what ways has America been shaped or impacted by the journeys of individuals?
- In what ways have individuals been shaped or impacted by America?
- In what ways is one's own identity shaped by these journeys?